Wildish Gets Philanthropic
Most of the time at Wildish we try to do things different. After all, we're Wildish Not Wild.For example, when we first thought about how to give back, we decided to launch Volunteers With Beers. A community driven volunteer initiative.
However, as we've grown we've also been looking for a financial way to give back. We brainstormed some big ideas and looked around for the best way to contribute to non-profits we care about. One name kept coming up over and over, 1% for the Planet.
We're sure you've heard of it, who hasn't. Their logo has that cute drawing of our little Earth on it, gotta love that.
However, even after years of seeing that logo all over the place we never really understood what it meant. So we read and read and called and called until we were convinced this was a good path forward.
Why 1% for the Planet
Here are the Cliff's Notes version of what we learned:
- founded in 2002 by the founder of Patagonia and Blue Ribbon Files
- companies donate 1% of sales (sales not profits)
- companies get to choose from a list of approved non-profits
- a small yearly membership fee goes to 1% for the Planet but the rest of the donations go direct to the chosen non-profit
That last point is important. With philanthropy Wildish has 2 main beliefs:
- Effective Altruism is important. Donated dollars should have the highest impact possible. So we were happy to learn our donations go direct to the non-profit of our choice.
- Grassroots Movements are powerful. BIG changes often begin with individuals ready to participate.
We looked deep into the approved non-profits for the right combination of effective and grassroots. After much debate we feel like the overarching problem is Climate Change. It's a single problem that affects all others. All this research lead us to choose 350.org as our primary non-profit recipient.
They're focussed on the BIG PICTURE of climate change.
- Keeping oil in the ground
- Helping build a new zero-carbon economy
- Pressuring governments to limit emissions
All of us here at Wildish care about the world we get to play in. That love has lead us to begin donating 1% of sales to 350.org to help fight Climate Change.